Friday, September 23, 2011

Models of Information Literacy


Square Peg, Round Hole?
There are an abundance of models that attempt to outline the process of information learning for teachers and students to follow that can support inquiry based learning. They can be broadly classified into two groups, those that reflect a linear process of inquiry and those that are non-linear and are more cyclical in nature. The linear models are usually characterised by a set of steps or stages that are undertaken in a certain order, one after the other. The cyclical type models are a series of stages or phases that the inquirer works through but it is often characterised by 'a returning to' previous stages throughout the process as required. 

Earlier in the blog I have explained that I could relate well to the early stages of Kuhlthau's model of the Information Search Process (ISP), notably the stages of Initiation, Selection, Exploration and Formulation. The feelings experienced at each of these phases resonated well with me. Alberta Inquiry Model (2004), illustrated below, is another model that I feel closely aligns with the inquiry process that I have undertaken. It allows for the revisiting of the various stages over and over again in the process of inquiry. I was continually looping backwards and forwards as I found new information, re-organised information, changed focus and attempted to make sense of the information. To do this constant "revisiting of the stages, I was reflecting upon the process every step of the way. Reflection and evaluation is not something that you can tag on at the end, these are processes that are happening all the time as you are synthesising new information with existing information. I believe that reflection is an integral part of each and every phase of the cycle. The flexibility that encompasses this model enables me to feel that it is OK to have some individuality in the way that I undertake the information learning process.
The Alberta Inquiry Model

I also believe that you'll never fully get it right and that at the end of the "completed" product there needs to be a process of evaluation, not only of the finished product but of the process itself and what I have learned about myself as an inquirer. For me, one of the biggest lessons that I will take from the process is to find a way to be more systematic with the collection of information. Throughout the process of searching I found valuable information and then couldn't relocate it again or if I could there was a lengthy search for it. This obviously caused much frustration and contributed to a lot of time wastage. Kuhlthau identifies several concepts for the use of information once it has been collected. One of these is 'Managing Inquiry: Keeping track along the way' (2007, p89). These can include strategies for note-taking either in a written journal or via tools on the computer to record sources of information. In subsequent searches I will seek help to further refine these skills so that the process does not become so overwhelming.




No comments:

Post a Comment